Grossbach Zaino & Associates, CPA's, PC

Summer Jobs, Teen Taxes

Leave a comment


Will your child have to pay taxes on the income earned at a summer job? It’s important to know the guidelines and keep good records.

  • Tips from waitressing, etc., are considered taxable income.


  • Net earnings of $400 or more from self-employment (e.g., babysitting, lawn mowing) are subject to self-employment tax, in addition to income tax.


  • Your child may be taxed on unearned income (dividends and interest) from bank and investment accounts set up under your child’s Social Security number.


  • Your child can claim an exemption from federal income-tax withholding if he or she had no income-tax liability last year and doesn’t expect to owe income taxes this year (e.g., because anticipated earnings are less than the standard deduction for single taxpayers, $6,350 for 2017).

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s